Holistic Aikido

Aikido a martial art that leads to enlightenment and the development of innerself. A perfect self defence for women. An art that develops for lifeforce (ki) energy that can be complimented with other healing arts like quantum touch and reiki.

My Photo
Name:

"Knowledge is the key to understanding. The past is the key to the future. When we begin to understand our past, then can we truly see the future of our fate."

Saturday, April 01, 2006



AIKIDO INEFFECTIVE AS A MARTIAL ART

Just read another article that questions the effectiveness of aikido in a street fight. I just want to share that Aikido cannot be viewed in such context. We are not trained to pick fights....in fact this ring a statement made by Mick Field Sensei...."If I can punch and kick, why do I need Aikido."

Aikido is about the availability of an option, a last option if you like. Why do military men learn how to use a knife....when they have weapons that can take an enemy down miles away? Because it is an option. A knife is just as effective as a sniper. One close range, one long range. Make sense? If I cannot punch or kick you, that will mean that the proximity of the attacker's body is very very close.....this is where Aikido is most effective.

I totally agree with the writer that Aikido is ineffective in a fight. BUT hello......we are NOT suppose to PICK fights. AND you definately cannot argue the effectiveness of AIKIDO as a defence art. I dare say that it has no equal.

If we must talk in the context of a FIGHTING art, then we must see Aikido as another arsenal to our repertoire of martial prowess. A good fighter will utilise the best of different arts. Bruce Lee definately had this in mind when he create the way of Jeet Kune Do. We can only learn from the best and of the best.

Now some of you will be saying what if I am attacked? Will aikido be effective as a defensive art? Will I be able to defend myself? Aikido is effective but the true question is are you?

In any attack it is the adreline pumping that will make the difference. That is why it is important that during practice, it should a committed attack by the uke and Nage must be in a mind of life and death. In practices like Randori and Jiyo Waza, it does give us a simulation of an actual situation. But everything still boils down to YOU. That is why in my 1st article, I mentioned that I see aikido in 3 forms, but for this article it is the first two that matters. Are you practicing the art as a 1) Performing Art or as a 2) Martial Art?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home